Helene was called to the bar in June 2001 and has appeared as counsel before the Provincial and Supreme Courts of British Columbia. Helene has handled a wide variety of cases, including complex personal injury, insurance litigation, sexual assault claims, defamation, contract disputes, and property damage claims.
Helene also practices criminal defence, representing clients on a variety of charges including assault, robbery, theft, fraud, and drug offences. Helene co-authored the publication Post-Charge Delay: Is There Any Life Left in S.11(b)? The Advocate, Vol. 59, Part 6, November, 2001.
Helene has successfully represented clients at administrative tribunals and mediations, as well as in the B.C. Provincial and Supreme Courts. In 2010, Helene was appointed as a panel member of the Employment and Assistance Appeal Tribunal, deciding Employment and Assistance Program appeals from decisions of the Ministry of Social Development and Child Care Subsidy Program appeals from decisions of the Ministry of Children and Family Development.
Professional and Community Activities
- Obtained her Juris Doctor degree from the University of Victoria in 2000
- Admitted to the British Columbia Bar in 2001
- Appointed to the Employment and Assistance Tribunal in 2010
- Member of the Trial Lawyers Association of British Columbia
- Member of the Canadian Bar Association, BC Branch
- Avid motorcyclist and skier
- Enjoys spending time with her family, traveling and playing piano